The presence of Conflicts of Interest within firms continues to be a primary area of concern for the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and it plays an important part in the FCA’s Conduct Risk agenda. Under the MiFID rules, firms are obliged to identify potential Conflicts of Interests, and to prevent...
The presence of Conflicts of Interest within firms continues to be a primary area of concern for the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and it plays an important part in the FCA’s Conduct Risk agenda. Under the MiFID rules, firms are obliged to identify potential Conflicts of Interests, and to prevent these from having a detrimental effect on their clients’ interests. Firms are also required to implement a Conflicts of Interest policy, formally documenting their approach to the management of Conflicts. MiFID II strengthens the rules and introduces new requirements which will put an even greater onus on firms’ compliance in this important area. Whilst it is a regulatory obligation for authorised firms, the identification and management of potential Conflicts of Interest is not always easy, particularly in integrated firms offering multiple services to a broad range of clients.
This one-day course is packed with case studies to demonstrate how Conflicts of Interest can arise. It explores the rules, and the regulator’s expectations, as well as the practical steps required to successfully identify and manage Conflicts.
Who is this for?
The course is particularly suitable for junior Compliance staff (typically those with 1-3 years of experience) who wish to further develop their knowledge and professional skills.
- What is a Conflict of Interest?
- Where can Conflicts of Interest arise in my firm?
- Whose responsibility is it to identify and manage Conflicts of Interest?
- What should Compliance be doing to spot potential Conflicts of Interest?
- What practical techniques can Compliance use to manage Conflicts of Interest successfully?
After attending this course, participants will:
- Know what constitutes a Conflict of Interest
- Understand where in an integrated firm Conflicts of Interest can arise, and whose responsibility it is to identify and manage Conflicts
- Know what the Compliance function should be doing to spot potential Conflicts
- Understand practical techniques for Compliance Officers in managing different types of Conflict