Duration: 1 Day
Delivery method: In-house
This course provides an overview of the latest corporate governance best practices and their relationship with the compliance environment. You will discuss what corporate governance is and be provided with a framework for evaluating corporate governance within a listed company as well as discussing relevant company legislation and corporate governance...
This course provides an overview of the latest corporate governance best practices and their relationship with the compliance environment. You will discuss what corporate governance is and be provided with a framework for evaluating corporate governance within a listed company as well as discussing relevant company legislation and corporate governance codes to corporate compliance systems. This session will look at the costs of making corporate governance changes and the benefits associated with these changes.
During this course you will discuss the legal duties and liabilities of directors and consider the purpose and tasks of a Board of Directors as defined by the Companies Act (2006) and the UK Corporate Governance Code (2014), followed by a quadrant framework to help understand the roles of the group/subsidiary boards and their importance.
Other topics for discussion will include governance of strategy, the Board’s role in risk assessment, the audit committee, the risk committee, internal audit and internal controls, corporate responsibility and ethics initiatives (including sustainability, corporate social responsibility, codes of ethics, whistleblowing etc). Following this, the management process of strategic and cultural change will be reviewed. Potential barriers to change will be discussed and methods of overcoming these barriers will be proposed - stressing the importance of group and team involvement.
The workshop will be highly interactive and involve case studies, group discussion, questionnaires and other activities.
Who is this for?
This foundation programme is designed for Compliance staff, Senior Management and those with responsibility for corporate governance systems in the UK Regulatory Environment.
- Corporate Governance
- The Business Case for Corporate Governance
- The Role of the Board, Directors Duties and Liabilities
- The Governance of Strategy
- The Governance of Risk
- Corporate Responsibility and Ethics
- Directing and managing change
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Define and explain the key principles and elements of good corporate governance systems
- Explain the business case for corporate governance
- Describe the board’s governance roles and responsibilities
- Analyse directors’ legal duties and liabilities
- Analyse the board’s role in the governance of strategy
- Describe the nature of risk and the board role in risk management
- Relate the board’s role in strategy and risk to corporate responsibility and ethics
- Recognise the leadership requirements and describe the process for mobilising support and leading change